Wins over Heritage keep basketball teams in prime playoff position

Kaden Groom, Staff Reporter

• Kicking off the game, junior Jake Harvey welcomes #2 Trenton Walters onto the court. Walters leads the starters onto the court to start the game.

• Looking to secure the ball for his team, #5 Jonathan Dupree-Buford tips the ball. The ball moves in favor of the Redhawks, giving the team the head start they are looking for.

• Tipping the ball in favor of his team, #5 Jonathan Dupree-Buford sets the tone for the game. With hopes of seeing another win, the boys are eager for the game to come.

• Attempting to defend the basket, the Redhawks are focused in on their defense. To stay ahead #23 Jacobe Coleman looks to block the shot.

• The the boys’ basketball team took on a busy winter break playing a total of 4 games and ending the tournament with a 3-1 record. The team found success through working together as a group, which they will take into their district season underway.

• With Redhawks on either side, the Heritage Coyotes struggle to find an open shot. With Coyotes eager to score, #5, Jonathan Dupree-Buford, and #23, Jacobe Coleman, block the shot.

The boys’ and girls’ basketball teams showed off their talent Tuesday night as each beat their opponent, the Heritage Coyotes, in District 9-5A play.

Entering the game in 3rd place (9-4), and trailing 2nd place Heritage (10-3) by one game in the district standings, the boys’ team pulled into a tie for 2nd with a 68-65 win. 

The Coyotes fell behind from the start and although they tried to fight back, the Redhawks held on to secure the win.

“We have no problems bringing energy to every game,” captain, senior Drew Johnson said. “We play every game like it’s our last.”

Leading all scorers were guards Cobe Coleman (23) and Trenton Walters (22), who combined for 45 points. Additionally, big man Jonathan Dupree finished with 9 points. Leading Heritage were Taven Washington and Nicholas Jett, with nearly 19 points apiece.

For Coleman, the key to the win was attacking the Coyotes defense. 

“Just getting early transition buckets and being able to attack the basket was big early in the game,” Coleman said. “We need to continue to play how we have been playing and just go harder.”

Things weren’t as close for the girls’ team as they cruised past the Coyotes 51-31 to remain in a tie for first with Memorial with both teams 14-1 in district play. 

After a closely contested first quarter, the Redhawks locked in and started to pull away.

“We just really had to lock in and play how we know we can play,” sophomore Keyera Roseby said. 

Senior Jazzy Owens-Barnett led the charge for the Redhawks, finishing with 23 points, followed by an 11 point performance from Keyera Roseby. 

“As a team we were able to play a really good game,” Owens-Barnett said. “We just made sure we played as hard as we could.”