10 Redhawk athletes put pen to paper

TJ Krilowicz

TJ Krilowicz, WTV Producer

Last wednesday, 10 redhawk athletes signed their letters of intent to continue playing sports after high school. 

Playing college athletics isn’t something a lot of students get to do as approximately 7 percent of high school athletes go on to play sports in college.

But on february’s signing day, 10 redhawk athletes, including 8 from football, 1 from volleyball, and 1 from golf, were able to be a part of the 7 percent.

Mitchell Kalka from golf signed his letter of intent to continue playing golf at Midland College.

“I chose this college because it’s the number one junior varsity golf program in the country and most players have received D1 offers to play golf at other universities after midland college,” Kalka said.

For volleyball, Lauryn Hill signed her letter of intent to the University of Louisiana.

“I chose that school because they’re a big athletic school and I want to be a part of the culture that they have been building for the past few years and I can see myself being a part of,” Hill said.

The first football player to sign was Sam Wenaas who signed with Air Force Academy in Colorado.

“I’m choosing that school because of the career opportunities after I graduate and some of the other things I can do and also just the recreational activities I can do while at the academy,” Wenaas said.

The next player was Michael Okuwobi who signed to Southern Nazarene.

“I knew I was going there when I spoke to the coaches, the coaches were chill and I really liked the campus,” Okuwobi said.

Chika Ugoh signed his letter of intent to continue playing football at Tarleton University.

“Tarleton was my first choice because they really wanted me to play there, the facilities are nice and also because the other school that offered me pulled out at the last second so it was an easy decision to make,” Ugoh said.

Nick Teta signed with a different Midland University in Nebraska.

“This last summer, I went there for a football camp and as soon as I got there the coaches just had these amazing personalities that I have always wanted to see in a coach and as soon as I got there I felt like I belonged there,” Teta said.

Also, Cam Wooley signed his letter of intent with East Central Oklahoma.

“I signed there because that was the school that was looking at me for the longest time so I felt like that was a good fit for me and the campus was nice and I liked how it looked when I visited,” Wooley said.

Jaxson Frazier committed to McPherson College in Kansas.

“I liked the program, I liked the coaches a lot, I feel like where you want to go is really because of the coaches and I knew I was going there when I got there and they showed me all the money and then I was like I already mess with the coaches? I was like oh yeah I’m rocking with this school,” Frazier said.

Next football player was Jack Wilson who signed his letter of intent to RPA College.

“I liked the coaches, I liked the players, and it’s going to get me prepared to play ball at a higher level,” Wilson said.

And lastly, Danial Ajayi followed his two brothers, super bowl champion Jay Ajayi and current CFL player Solomon Ajayi, in continuing playing football after high school when he signed with West Texas A&M.

“So I took a visit up there about a week ago, and first off the campus was just really nice, everything was kind of new like built in the last few years,” Ajayi said. “Since I’m playing football up there, the facilities are nice, especially for a D2, new stadium, new locker room, everything like that, so that played a big factor in it.”