Track springs back into action

As spring slowly creeps around the corner, the Track and Field team has begun preparations for their upcoming season. For senior Cori Ross, this will be her last year running as a Redhawk.

Kiara Hinz, Staff Reporter

After claiming the 5A UIL Boys State Track and Field Championship in 2021, the Redhawks track is getting ready for the start of the 2022 season Friday at McKinney Boyd.

“In the early phases of track & field training we work to get athletes in shape, so the repetitions are high, and times are demanding. We also lift 4 days a week and have Saturday practice,” track coach Khera Vay said. “As the season progresses the repetition will decrease, and the focus will shift to create the progression we are looking for towards the peak of the T&F season.” 

With all the preparation for this season’s competition, Vay thinks that they are more than ready.

“Mentally I believe that the teams are ready for competition,” Vay said. “Last season was very successful on the boys and girls’ side and a lot of those kids are back this season and ready to reach their team and individual goals.”     

One of the first things many people think of when it comes to track and field is running and jumping but for senior Cori Ross it’s about something else. 

“It’s a very time consuming sport demanding a lot of mental toughness as an individual,” Ross said.

Despite the nature of this sport, track athletes find that it is all worth it when competition season comes around.

“The practices are definitely difficult, but it’s to make us better,” junior track student Imani Kabole. “My favorite part about track is running with your friends. Sometimes when the workout sucks and is hard, it’s nice knowing you’re not the only one tired and/or in pain.”