Basketball starts busy week with wins

Harley Classe

Kicking off the game, junior Jake Harvey welcomes #2 Trenton Walters onto the court. Walters leads the starters onto the court to start the game.

Kaden Groom, Sports Reporter

Due to the snow Feb. 3-4 that shut down all of Frisco ISD, the basketball teams have a busy week for the Redhawks. It started on Monday with both teams defeating Lone Star in a rescheduled matchup on Monday. 

The girls’ team improved to 16-1 in District 9-5A play with a 45-39 win, and the boys’ team continued the trend winning 55-44 to improve to 11-4 in district play.

Both teams have guaranteed themselves a spot in the playoffs but with little time to rest as they are back on the court Tuesday against Reedy in another district contest. 

As always the girls will start the night off, tipping off at 6:30pm.

This will not only be the team’s last home game, but the last district game as the team prepares for playoffs beginning the week of Feb. 14.

In the Redhawks last outing against the Lions, the team won 39-25, with the goal being the same Tuesday night.

“Execute the game plan, be active on the bench, and find our solutions out there on the floor,” senior Jazzy Owens-Barnett said. “As a team, if we execute , win fifty fifty plays, and work our hardest there is no doubt in my mind we will be successful.”

Not only is Tuesday the last home matchup for the girls’ team, it’s also Senior Night.

“Being a senior this night is obviously super special in the sense that it shows all of your hard work and how it has paid off,” senior Ashley Anderson said. “I’ve definitely  been looking forward to this night since the beginning of the season because it celebrates my teammates that I’ve been with since the beginning of high school.”

As for the boys, they will conclude the night tipping off at 8:00 p.m.

Coming off a win against the Lone Star, the team looks to stay hot as they take on the Lions.

“After a good win against Lone Star we play Reedy and it happens to be Drew day,” forward, junior Matthew Bishop said. “So hopefully we go out there and we get a win for our main senior and only senior Drew Christopher Johnson.”

As the only senior on the Redhawks boys’ team, Tuesday’s game is special for Johnson.

“Senior Night against Reedy,  fortunately and unfortunately it’s kinda like a send off I guess,” Johnson said. “Hopefully a lot of people will come out to support me. It’s like a cool celebration of the four years I put in,  so it should be fun and hopefully we get the win.”