Library hosts Blind Date With A Book

Chelsea Hamilton

Blind date with a book aims to give students an opportunity to not judge a book by its cover. Although it is happening during Valentine’s season, the books are in no means predominantly romance.

Ananya Kulkarni, Guest Contributor

With Valentine’s Day on Monday, time is running out for the library’s Blind Date With A Book event where books are gift wrapped to make the book choice a mystery.

“It is a way for students to grab surprise books that they would have not have read before,” librarian Chelsea Hamilton said. “It can broaden their reading interests and it’s just a fun way to read something new”.

Students are enjoying getting to read new genres and different kinds of books.

“I had actually seen this idea on the internet before when Barnes & Nobles did it but this is the first time I’ve seen our library do it and I like it a lot,” sophomore Rhythm Chand said. “The book I checked out was called Tokyo Ever After and it’s been really fun to read a contemporary romance for the first time.”

Although the event is ending on Valentine’s Day, books offered vary in genre.

“It isn’t predominantly romance books,” Hamilton said. “One year I did predominantly romance books but I think it defeats the purpose of wanting to allow people to read new books.”

You can pick up a red gift wrapped book in the library until Monday to take part in this event. 

“I picked up a thriller book,” sophomore Abigail So said. “It was called One of Us is Lying and it was so cool. The plot twist was completely unexpected.”