Students meet with next generation of Redhawk theatre

Theatre shares tips and tricks with Vandeventer Middle School for their UIL competition.

Rishika Desai, Staff Reporter

Theater students are sharing their expertise with the younger generation of performers with visits to Vandeventer Middle School to advise the middle schoolers as they go to perform in their UIL competition. 

“We are going to Vandeventer because they are one of the schools that feed into Liberty for the theater program,” senior Mia​​ Tremmel said. “We wanted to go in support and try and give notes for the middle school show before they perform on Saturday.” 

Tremmel believes the middle schoolers can benefit from her classes’ experience. 

“We have had a lot more experience with UIL, a lot of us are in the advanced level classes, and so we’re just kind of there to see from an outsider’s perspective other than their directors,” Tremmel said. 

Senior Jessica Daly feels like their show has progressed since the last time her class went. 

I thought their show was pretty good when we went a few weeks ago, but you can definitely see that they progressed quite a bit, probably from where they started,” she said. “It was just a cool experience to be able to look at another production from a director’s perspective, and just being older, being able to give then advice on how to do certain things.” 

Getting advice from older students instead of adults will help the middle schoolers get a different point of view, according to Daly. 

“I think it’ll help because having different eyes on it; we’re high schoolers, and many of us have been through middle school UIL and are in high school UIL now,” Daly said. “I also feel like because advice and direction from an adult are different from advice and direction from like their older peers, because they look up to us, or at least I like to think they do.”