Club promotes environmental engagement

Lucas Barr

Students for Environmental Action plans to commence their composting system. The club aims to educate students on composting and how they are contributing to it.

Michelle Monohan, Guest Contributor

On average, Frisco ISD high schools create 100 tons of waste every year, but with the help of a club on campus, that number may be reduced.

The Students for Environmental Action Club is about showing people how to use their trash, compost, and more.

“The purpose is more about the education of it,” sponsor environmental science teacher Jamie Berendt said. “When students see them collecting food, and they’re sorting it, it drives questions. So not only do the people in the club learn how to compost, but also students that are just contributing to it are also learning about it. Then the compost is something we can use for educational purposes here at school, in the science programs. We can use it in biology and environmental science, we can look at microorganisms in the compost so we can really just go in deeper and actually use it for educational purposes, and it fulfills the whole purpose of what the club is about and just getting the students involved, the community into something that is meaningful and even something they can do at home.”

The club works on many projects including a compost system

S“The compost system has two functions, one is to make a little bit of compost by taking compost waste from our total waste from the cafeteria and combining it with browns; like dead leaves and sticks,” club president, junior Lauren Maher said. “Then we mixed those things together and leave it in the compost turner, it turns into compost eventually.”