Much Ado About theatre’s newest performance

Theatre performers get ready for their newest performance: ‘Much Ado About Nothing.’ Rehearsals have been ongoing since the second semester began and continue until the first performance on March 2.

Ananya Kulkarni, Guest Contributor

A lot more than nothing is happing in the auditorium as Redhawk theatre is putting on a performance of William Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing with a twist for this year’s 

University Interscholastic League’s One Act Play Contest.

Much Ado About Nothing follows us as Hero and Claudio fall in love,” technical director Laura Darce said. “It’s also about how friends and family stick their nose where it doesn’t belong.”

However, the play will deviate from its Shakespearean origins.

“Ms. Willingham [theatre director Heather Willingham] is setting the show during the 80s,” lead actress Hanl Brown said. “It highlights the music, culture, and rampant sexism of the decade. The men are returning from world tours instead of wars.”

Rehearsals have been ongoing since the second semester began and continue until the first performance on March 2.

“For our show Ms. Willingham decided to cut rehearsals in half, basically only on B days,” stage manager Kenna Hall said. “It’s a lot less stressful, but it also means we have to work more at home, too.”

Actors and technicians are excited to be working on it, even if only a few scenes are being rehearsed.

“We’re working on blocking scenes and researching the 80s but I’m still excited because UIL season is my favorite part of theater,” Brown said. “I love getting to really dive into the text and characters.”