Redhawks honored at February Board Meeting

Maddie Owens

In an effort to prevent fentanyl usage in students and in the city, Frisco ISD is hosting an informative town hall about fentanyl and its fatal effects.

Aarya Oswal, Staff Reporter

Frisco ISD’s Board of Trustees held its monthly school board meeting Monday evening to discuss many topics including budget proposals and recognizing 19 students who had outstanding college entrance exams scores.

For the first quarter of the meeting, the 19 high performing students on college entrance exams – the SAT and ACT – were recognized, then followed by recognizing those in the College Board National Recognition Program.

Perfect scorers from Liberty were Stephanie Chung, Kush Gandhi, Thanmayi Gupta, and Shrey Jain.

College Board also recognized Scholars by the College Board’s National Recognition Program, and the following students were recognized for the Hispanic Recognition category for scoring well on the PSAT/NMSQT test.

• Aidan Verduzco
  • Andrew Jauregui
  • Angelly Garcia
  • Eva Guerra
  • Hanna Knox
  • Leonardo Lombardi
  • Marco Figueroa
  • Matthew Marshall
  • Robert Violante
  • Simon Nagles
  • Vanessa Jara

The Board of Trustees then discussed District Improvement Plan Mandates in which bullying, crisis management, pregnancy, etc were talked about in order to make this ongoing school year experience better for students and staff alike. This call for action for a district improvement plan was approved with a 7-0 vote.

Another topic brought up by one of the board members, Kimberly Smith, discussed the matter of paying staff across the district during the two precautionary snow days.

“Any time we close due to weather or some kind of emergency, [we] will continue to pay our staff so long as the board approves a resolution after the fact,” Smith said. “This resolution is for closure of the district on Feb. 2nd 5 p.m. through the end of Feb. 4th, we continued to pay all employees both hourly and salaried during that time period, for their regular work period.”