Filing window for FISD Board of Trustees closes Friday

Sarah Boutouis

On Monday, the Board met at the Administration building. They approved the 2024-25 calendar, with the addition of Fall break and a Monday start.

Robyn Burke, WTV Staff Reporter

Friday is the final day a Frisco ISD resident may file for a place on this year’s May 7 ballot. Places 1, 2, and 3 are on the ballot meaning there could be three new members on the Frisco ISD Board of Trustees. While the March 1 election features the first chance to vote for the candidate for governor, the Frisco ISD on May 7 has a direct impact on schools and students.

“It’s super important to vote because the Frisco ISD Board of Trustees actually has a lot to do with the everyday life of students and teachers,” FISD government affairs coordinator Megan Dewolfe said. “They make a lot of decisions that kind of guide where we go as a district, and so you always want somebody who represents, kind of your values, and so you can learn about the candidates and make sure that people that represent your values are up there, making decisions for you on a day-to-day basis.”

But unlike an election that has a governor’s race or presidential race, Dewolfe says local elections like the school board race often have low turnout. 

“Voter registration turnout is traditionally, really, really low, and you know, we always try to talk about how, in an election, a majority makes a decision, but it’s not really a majority,” Dewolfe said. “It’s a majority of people who vote, and so that can be really, really low.”