Sleeping mats project aims to help the homeless

Megan Ward

The Students for Environmental Action Club have been working on making sleeping mats to donate to homeless individuals. “This project involves both social justice and welfare with environmental problems,” junior Lauren Maher said.

Sadie Johnson, WTV Staff Reporter

The Students For Environmental Action Club is working on a project making sleeping mats for homeless individuals.

“One of our current projects right now is the plastic bag sleeping mat project,” junior club president Lauren Maher said. “This project involves both social justice and welfare with environmental problems. So we’re taking plastic bags since that is obviously a huge issue and crocheting them into sleeping mats. These mats will be waterproof so when we donate them to a homeless individual they will have an extra layer between them and the ground in case it’s wet so they don’t get their personal belongings dirty and it will give them some extra padding.”

It takes around 500 bags to make one mat.

Although the organization in which the mats will be donated is not decided yet, this project has the potential to impact more than one thing.

“With this project, we will be able to have both an environmental impact and an impact possibly in somebody’s life,” Maher said. “And that’s a great opportunity for students to have and that’s why we wanted to start this project.”