Personal records fall as track team begins season

The+Redhawks+track+team+kicked+off+its+2022+season+in+McKinney+Friday+and+Saturday.+The+girls+team%2C+led+in+part+by+senior+Cori+Ross%2C+and+the+boys+team+each+set+several+individual+personal+records.+

The Redhawks track team kicked off its 2022 season in McKinney Friday and Saturday. The girls’ team, led in part by senior Cori Ross, and the boys’ team each set several individual personal records.

Michael Coppinger, Sports Reporter

Track got off to a speedy start Friday and Saturday at the McKinney Boyd Relays; setting school records in 4×800 meter run and distance medley relays.

“The focus at this point in the season would have to be staying focused during practice and giving it 100% on the workouts we do,” junior Lord Okondor said via text. “It’s going to reflect how you perform once you step on the track.”

On the other hand, freshman Sofia Golladay looks to build good race habits after placing first in her heat in the 1600 meter run. 

“I had a strong finish at the end which helped me to get first in my heat,” Golladay said. “My focus has been getting a feel for what pace I need to be running at to help me get my times faster.”

The weekend’s results have Odonskor  looking forward optimistically towards the next meet. 

“The team was all able to run their hardest and we were able to encourage them from the stands,” he said. “Not only that but we also PR’d in pretty much all of our events.”