One season continues, one comes to an end

In+a+game+featuring+two+of+the+states+top+four+5A+teams%2C+the+Redhawks+%28%234%29+handed+McKinney+North+%28%2320+just+its+second+loss+of+the+year+Tuesday+night.+%0AThe+Redhawks+outscored+the+Bulldogs+34-15+in+the+second+half+to+win+59-35+and+advance+to+the+regional+semifinals+for+the+4th+straight+year.+

@RedhawkBall

In a game featuring two of the state’s top four 5A teams, the Redhawks (#4) handed McKinney North (#20 just its second loss of the year Tuesday night. The Redhawks outscored the Bulldogs 34-15 in the second half to win 59-35 and advance to the regional semifinals for the 4th straight year.

Kaden Groom, Sports Reporter

The season continues for one Redhawks basketball team, while another comes to a close as both the girls’ and boys’ were in action Tuesday in the UIL 5A playoffs

Facing McKinney North, the #2 5A girls’ team with just one loss, the #4 Redhawks went on a 34-15 run in the second half to advance to the Region II semifinals with a 59-36 win.  

“It’s great to beat a team like McKinney North but the job isn’t done yet,” sophomore Keyera Roberts said. “We still have more games to go so we need to start preparing for the next one.”

Trailing 11-5 early in the game, the Redhawks were able to rely on experience gained from three straight trips to the state tournament to gain control of the game.  

“There’s so much experience on this team,” head coach Ross Reedy said to the Frisco Enterprise. “I think through all that, these kids have a next-play mentality. Don’t let the game get away from you and just stay in the moment.”

Losing just their second game of the year, Bulldogs head coach Veronica Reed-Hamilton paid tribute to the Redhawks coaching staff. 

“They’re just well-coached,” Reed-Hamilton said to Frisco Enterprise. “Once you’re out of sync and if you don’t recover quickly, he knows how to get those kids to keep pounding at you one possession at a time.” 

Hoping to duplicate the playoff success of the girls’ team, the boys’ faced off against Prosper Rockhill in the first round of the UIL 5A boys’ playoffs.

However, the Redhawks were unable to defeat Rockhill and were eliminated from the playoffs, losing 55-47.

“It sucks to lose like that in the first round,” junior Jonathan Dupree said. “All we can do is come back stronger next year.”