The girl in black

Freshman Melody Akbari expresses herself with all-black attire.

Melody Akbari

Janet Nguyen, Guest Contributor

There are a lot of ways to express one’s emotions through things such as body language, the way they communicate, and the way they dress. Freshman Melody Akbari expresses her feelings through her clothing. Akbari wears black almost constantly. She may come across as “emo”, but her choosing to wear black is her expressing her emotions.

“I like the color black because it is a go to color. I wear black most of the time like when I go out and when I’m at home. I just wear black 24/7,” Akbari said. “I think I can go black with basically anything and I kind of feel like an FBI agent when I wear it, so I feel cooler and tougher.”

Bright neon colors are one of Akbari’s favorite colors, but she feels like it doesn’t suit her clothing wise.

“Neon colors are really cute and pretty and it’s not like I don’t want to wear neon colors it’s just that I don’t think they look good with my skin or I just haven’t found the right piece of neon clothing,” Akbari said. “I just like wearing dark colors and like light clothing doesn’t really suit my image, plus black is the color of my soul so.”

Akbaki’s mother is fine with her daughter wearing whatever she wants, as long as she’s comfortable.

“My daughter is always wanting dark and black clothes whenever we go shopping together,” Sara Akbaki said. “I used to recommend her some light clothing for the clear, sunny weather but she always refused it, so I’m used to seeing her wear dark clothing and I’m totally okay with that because I want Melody to do whatever she’s comfortable with.”

Her style is something Akbaki’s friends notice.

“I think Melody has a very unique fashion because she’s very different from other people’s style,” Kara Butterly said. “Melody is always wearing dark clothes like black and she looks pretty fierce. Whenever I’m with her she’s always in her black clothing and never have I seen her with a bright neon clothing on, but Melody is Melody and she’s very unique and expressing her feelings through her fashion is awesome.”