The hand drying dilemma

Drying hands is left to air dryers on the wall but for some students the dryers dont work well enough leaving them to use their pants as a towel.

Ariela Rodrigues

Drying hands is left to air dryers on the wall but for some students the dryers don’t work well enough leaving them to use their pants as a towel.

Ariela Rodrigues, Guest Contributor

When students wash their hands in the school’s bathrooms, their pants or t-shirts often become a makeshift towel to dry their hands as many students get annoyed that the air driers take to long to dry ones hand.

“Driers are just hard to use and they don’t really work well and it takes a lot of time and your hands still aren’t as dry as if you wiped them off,” freshman William Junkin said. “Having to dry you hand on your clothes is very annoying because that’s what we should use paper for.”

Many students prefer to dry hands on their clothes because it’s faster.

“Drying your hand’s on your clothes is quick and efficient compared to using the hand dryers,” senior Chloe Hamer said. “Paper towels would be way faster because you have to wait in the line for everyone to finish with one hand drier and then you can’t fully dry your hands because you don’t want to hold up the line.

To many, the hand driers seem useless.

“There are no paper towels,” freshman Lauren Girdner said. “The hand dries don’t really work that good and your hands are always still wet afterwards. Drying your hands on your clothes is annoying because if you had paper towels then it would be faster and you wouldn’t have to dry your hands on your clothes because you want to hurry up and get out.”

The school is aware of the bathroom issue but made the choice based on what it thinks is the best solution.

“We have dryers just for sanitary reasons and just the logistics of it all,” assistant principal John Brown said. “When you have as many students as we have and them having paper towels in the restroom, our custodians can try to manage it and maintain it but the business of the day, kids going in and out, some kids not using things appropriately and putting them in the sinks, putting them in the toilet, causing issues there. It’s just not very feasible for that to occur. Again we try to do our best to make sure our bathrooms are clean and sanitary and make sure that you guys have the best environment to get your education.”