Shooting for success

Rachel Kim, Staff Reporter

The Redhawk Best Buddies chapter is competing in the Special Olympics Games on Friday by playing basketball at the Frisco Fieldhouse

“Special Olympics gives people with special needs an opportunity to feel included,” special education teacher Cheryl Madani said. “They interact with others with the same special needs as them, and they don’t feel excluded from the general population.”

To get ready for Friday students have been practicing and refining their skills with support from teachers and peers alike. 

“The students have been working in their Partners PE class with helpers and coaches to practice shooting, dribbling, and passing,” Madani said. “The events are a speed dribbling competition, a shooting accuracy match, and a throwing [and] catching event.”

However, students with intellectual disabilities are not the only individuals that benefit from this opportunity, as peer buddies do as well.    

“It gives opportunities to general education students to enjoy their time getting to know our special athletes,” Madani said. “The peer students improve their understanding of people with disabilities. They realize that people with special needs want the same thing we all want: to feel included, respected, important & loved.”

For chapter president Caroline Grace Caruso, the Special Olympics Games allow students to have an enjoyable time, while also providing an opportunity to create a sense of community through support and encouragement. 

“I am looking forward to rooting on our school,” Caruso said. “We have so many sporting events on campus, and Special Olympics just works to include another part of our school in the fun of it all.”Be

• Students on campus are participating in a Special Olympics bowling competition on Thursday. Throughout the day, members of partners PE and Best Buddies will be helping assist students.

• Most of the students who competed received first place in their respective categories. With one second, third, and fourth place finish each, the Redhawks swept the competition.

• Junior Jack Clutter and Matthew Do were paired together for the day. For Do, a first place win was the highlight of the day.

• Sophomore Zosh Shearer received first place in his respective group. He competed alongside students from Memorial High School and Lebanon Trail High School.

• Sophomore Zosh Shearer competed in the dribbling event first. With two more events left, the athlete was proud of the time he made.

• Freshman Ian Lovitt received first place in his respective group. With junior Scott McCord on his side, Ian felt unstoppable.

• Junior Jake Martin took his shot in the second event, shooting. Coming out in 4th, Ian and his buddy are proud of the efforts he put forward.

• Freshman Ian Lovitt takes his shot in the second event, shooting. With dribbling out of the way, all Lovitt has left is passing.

• Freshman Ian Lovitt takes a shot at passing in the third event. With his team on his side, Ian secured first place.