A license to create

Art 1 learns foundational skills

Art+1+students+had+the+chance+to+attempt+multiple+color+scheme+painting+during+a+class+project.+Certain+aspects+of+the+project%2C+such+as+such+as+complementary%2C+monochromatic%2C+tetrads%2C+and+triad+color+schemes%2C+are+foundational+to+art+skills+in+the+eyes+of+art+teacher+Jeb+Matulich.+

Megan Ward

Art 1 students had the chance to attempt multiple color scheme painting during a class project. Certain aspects of the project, such as such as complementary, monochromatic, tetrads, and triad color schemes, are foundational to art skills in the eyes of art teacher Jeb Matulich.

Max Whitley, Guest Contributor

Working with a license to create, Art 1 students are painting and mixing colors in a project that could pay off for years to come. 

“In Art 1, we’re doing a project called multiple color scheme painting,” art teacher Jeb Matulich said. “It’s where the students do a painting, and then divide it up into fourths, and then in each quadrant is a different color scheme we’ve talked about.” 

Multiple color schemes can be used, such as complementary, monochromatic, tetrads, and triads on the color wheel.. 

“When we did the color wheel, we just let everyone know that you only need the primary color, red, yellow, and blue, and with those three colors you can make and mix every color on the color wheel,” Matulich said. “Then by adding black and white to those colors you can make tints, tones, and shades of those colors.”

Students could use either blue or red while also choosing the best brush (thick, thin, squared, and rounded) for their needs.  

“I learned how to mix different colors properly,” freshman Jake Emmons said. “What kind of brush to use, and to stay steady with a brush while painting.”  

While students may not be able to see beyond the project at hand, the skills being learned could pay off in years to come. 

“Knowing what colors go together is something that’s beneficial,” Matulich said. “It could be something that you could use later in your life, just decorating your house, trying to figure out what color tile goes with what color tile goes with what color carpet or wall paint, “It could help people like video game designers or fashion designer or any job that any include color.”