Readers face off in Battle of the Books

Rachel Kim

Redhawk faced off in the Battle of the Books at Independence high school, advancing to the semifinals.

Rachel Kim, Staff Reporter

Five students traveled to Independence High School on Thursday to compete in the annual Frisco ISD book trivia competition known as the Battle of the Books with the Redhawks getting knocked out in the semifinals. 

The competition requires each school to participate in teams which collaborate and try to correctly answer questions about 10 books that are read in advance. 

“My favorite part was being able to collaborate with the team while laughing over our love for books,” freshman Hannah Mercer said. “[Moreover], I enjoyed being able to go to Independence and the thrill of playing Kahoots against other schools.”

By competing in the Battle of the Books, junior Srividya Nalladdhighal was exposed to new and varying topics and themes across literature. 

“I was able to read a lot of books I normally wouldn’t read because of this competition, and found some books that I really liked because of it,” Nalladdhighal said. “So, I think Battle of the Books is just a great opportunity to be exposed to a wide variety of genres outside of what you’re used to.”