Redhawks reign in UIL District 9-5A meet

Hannah Beeler

Last Saturday, Redhawks headed to Centennial High School to compete with other FISD students at a UIL academic meet.

Athena Tseng, Managing Editor

Students competed in the UIL District 9-5A Academic Meet Saturday at Centennial High School.Many different skills were tested, from mathematics to debate to journalism.

“I think UIL is important as it allows us to compete in our passions with other equally passionate individuals from schools from across the region and allows us to meet great new people,” junior Tanmay Gupta said. “Also, it allows us to see where we stand competitively in a broader sense”

In preparation for UIL, many students studied and practiced with different methods.

“I was part of the number sense math UIL team, and we prepared for districts by meeting on a weekly basis to go over past tests and any new tops we had for each other,” Gupta said. “I also tried to take some previous tests at home to practice the types of questions and improve on speed.”

Many students advanced to regionals taking place on April 22 at Prosper Rockhill High School. 

“I’m decently happy with my performance, especially about the fact that Liberty came out to be first in the district in both the events I took part in, science and calculator applications,” senior Saujash Barman said. “But I know that the competition at regionals is going to be much higher, so trying to prepare for it from right now and take a lot of practice tests to improve my score. Hopefully, we can move on to state.”