Track jogs to Kuykendall

Michael Martin

Running feet first into their District competition, track looks to round out their season. The team is determined to secure their spots in the area meet.

Kaden Groom, Sports Reporter

The race for state begins Wednesday and Thursday for the Redhawks track teams as they compete in the District 9-5A track meet at Kuykendall Stadium.

On day one of the meet, girls’ long jump, boys’ shot put, girls’ pole vault, boys’ pole vault, girls’ shot put, and boys’ long jump will all compete in their finals as all running events complete the preliminary trials.

“The goal for this track meet is to advance to the area and beat the school record,” junior Cameron Gibbs said. “Seeing all my friends from other schools and running while healthy again will be great, but really I just listen to my music and take a lot of time to focus on my races.” 

With nine meets of preparation, freshman relay runner Orin Gee is ready for the chance to advance. 

“My goal is to show up and show out and to do my job,” Gee said. “I’m really looking forward to seeing my friends do bigger things, and for me to follow right along with my dreams and goals.”