Tied for second, baseball keeps the ball rolling

Michael Martin

The Redhawk baseball team currently sits tied for second place in district 9-5A.. Neck in neck with the Independence Knights, 8-4, the team is determined to rise up.

Michael Coppinger, Sports Reporter

It was heartbreak for the Redhawks on Tuesday night at The Nest as they fell to the Wakeland Wolverines 11-6. Despite entering the last inning with a one-run lead, the Redhawks allowed six runs with two outs, ending the team’s three game winning streak.

With this loss, the Redhawks dropped into a three way tie for second place with Wakeland and Independence.

“Defensively, we gotta communicate more. We need to execute when outs need to become outs,” senior Isaiah Sandoval said. “Our mindset is going to be to attack the fastball early in the count. We want to put pressure on their defense and force them to make outs.”

The team has a chance for redemption as they visit Wakeland to close out their series against the Wolverines Thursday at 7:30 p.m.

“We need to stay within ourselves and work as a team,” sophomore Brady Miller said via text. “To win tonight would show how strong we are and how strong our determination is.”