Baseball takes a swing at the Lions

Looking for two consecutive wins, the Redhawks took a swing at the Reedy Lions on Tuesday. Looking to continue their momentum, the team heads back to work.

Michael Coppinger, Sports Reporter

Trying to finish the District 9-5A season on a hot streak, the baseball team travels to the home of the Reedy Lions Friday at 7 p.m. Fresh off Tuesday’s 9-6 win over the Lions, the Redhawks now enjoy their status atop district standings at first place with a record of 10-4. 

Junior (pitcher) Chandler Pilkington believes that the Redhawks should emphasize a focus on achieving a series sweep versus Reedy, something that the team has accomplished only twice this season versus district opponents. 

“A sweep against a very good team will help us in the playoffs, the more wins we have will help us to get a chance at a longer run,” Pilkington said. “We are doing what we can in practice to prepare for our next matchup with Reedy, such as hitting different types of pitches.”

Implementing offensive and defensive scripts into their practices is providing the Redhawks with an edge according to junior outfielder Makai Willingham.

“I think the most beneficial thing we’ve been doing in practice is mimicking game situations and sharpening our approach at the plate,” Willingham said. “The coaching staff puts together a great practice plan that imitates in-game scenarios, and we’ve been doing a great job of getting the most out of it.”

The Redhawks have a short turnaround after Friday’s game as they head to Memorial High School to take on the Warriors on Saturday at 1:00 p.m

“We have three teams only one game behind us,” sophomore (pitcher) Ian Garza said. “Every game is super important.”