Frisco ISD meal prices for 2022-2023 school year are subjected to change

The+national+wavier+to+lunch+and+breakfast+prices+at+school+will+not+continue+next+year.+The+new+meal+prices+for+next+year+have+been+approved.+

Melody Tavallaee

The national wavier to lunch and breakfast prices at school will not continue next year. The new meal prices for next year have been approved.

Rachel Kim, Staff Reporter

The Frisco ISD Board of Trustees approved meal prices for the 2022-2023 school year during its monthly school board meeting.  

Since the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year, Frisco ISD has provided free meals to every student, regardless of income, under the nationwide waiver issued by the United States Department of Agriculture

However, a waiver has not been issued for the 2022-2023 school year yet. 

The meal prices approved by the Board of Trustees will take effect on May 24, the beginning of summer school, if a waiver is not extended. 

“If the federal waiver is not extended, adjustments will be necessary as a result of inflation and the rising cost of food and food products over the last several years,” Frisco ISD’s Assistant Director of Communications Meghan Cone wrote in an email to local newspaper Community Impact.   

Most meals in the district will see an increase in prices. Breakfast will increase from $1.50 to $2 for students while lunch will increase from $2.80 to $3.75. 

However, premium meal options will see a drop in prices next school year. Premium breakfast will decrease from $2.20 to $2 while premium lunch will decrease from $3.80 to $3.75.