Top sports moment of 2021-2022: #2

Courtesy of @TennisRedhawks

Counting down the last 5 days of school, Wingspan looks at the top sports moments of the year. Coming in at #2, the Redhawk tennis team wins the UIL State Tennis Tournament for the second year in a row with the mixed doubles team winning the title; the first mixed doubles title in Frisco ISD history.

Harley Classe, Sports Editor

Tennis wins state

With the school year ending Friday, Wingspan is counting down the top sports moments of the 2021-2022 year.

Coming in at #2, the Redhawk tennis team wins the UIL State Tennis Tournament for the second year in a row with the mixed doubles team winning the title; the first mixed doubles title in Frisco ISD history.

“It’s really a big deal for Liberty and we’ve been preparing for this for a really long time and really excited to see what we can do,” junior Milla Dopson said. “I played in state last year and I got third.”

With juniors Milla Dopson and Sanjheev Rao winning the mixed doubles state title and freshman Hailey Zhang competing in singles alongside the duo, the athletes hope to see the trend continue next year.

“They played so strong, and they fought hard with the windy conditions,” head coach Erica Dopson said. “We are so proud of them.”