Top sports moment of 2021-2022: #3

Provided by Cori Ross

Counting down the last 5 days of school, Wingspan looks at the top sports moments of the year. Coming in at #4, the girls’ relay teams advances to the UIL State Meet accompanied by two other runners, seniors Cam Wooley and Chris Johnson.

Harley Classe, Sports Editor

Girls’ relay team advances to UIL State Meet

With less than a week of school left, Wingspan looks into the top sports moments of the 2021-2022 school year.

Coming in at #3, several Redhawks from the school’s track team made it to state, with senior Chris Johnson winning the 5A state long jump championship on his final jump of the meet, setting a personal record on the final jump of his high school career. 

“Winning state this year is an amazing feeling because obviously it’s my senior year in my last high school sport and for me to take the distance and go out there and compete and win in Austin is an amazing feeling,” Johnson said. “This medal is ten times different for me, in my opinion, than last year, because obviously it’s an amazing feeling winning state last year , but to actually do something on your own and win it by yourself and to be crowned in a way the champion, that’s just an amazing feeling.”

In addition to Johnson’s win, the girls’ relay teams finished 6th in the 4×200 and senior Cam Wooley finished 5th in the 400.

“It’s really satisfying to finish what we started last year at regionals and just really live up to our best potential because we all knew that we could make it to state,” senior Sydney Bishop said. “The fact that we made it to state is just really refreshing.

While winning was the ultimate goal, the team is proud of their accomplishments.

“I feel like it’s a really great opportunity to showcase my talents against the best in the state,” Johnson said. “You know, my goal is always to go out there and win, compete, you know, get first place. I think anybody that makes it to state that’s their top goal.”

From a coach’s perspective, the fact that the team came together and fought for the title is enough to call it a successful season.

“I want nothing more than them to be able to end the season feeling proud of who they are as people and what their hard work has allowed them to accomplish,” track coach Khera Vay said.