Top sports moment of 2021-2022: #1

Scott McGarrh

Counting down the last 5 days of school, Wingspan looks at the top sports moments of the year. Coming in at #1, football beats the previously undefeated Lovejoy Leopards after an almost 20 game losing streak just three years prior in 2019.

Harley Classe, Sports Editor

Football beats Lovejoy to claim share of district championship

With the school year ending Friday, Wingspan is back with the final top sports moments of the 2021-2022 year.

Coming in at #1, football beats the previously undefeated Lovejoy Leopards after an almost 20 game losing streak just three years prior in 2019.

“It was an amazing feeling being co-district champions,” junior Alex Trevino said. “We all wanted this, we all prepared for this, and we were able to come out the winner. It felt great.”

Coming together as a team made the season even better for head coach Matt Swinnea.

“It’s truly been a team effort,” Swinnea said. “I have to point to this senior class. That first year of 2019 our slogan and our hashtag was ‘let it begin’ and we had as a goal this moment and you know playing as 15 sophomores as varsity players that first year and just knowing it was going to be a growth process and trusting the process and believing in themselves and so it’s just and it’s just an awesome feeling to know and realize that these kids accomplished what they came out to do.”