Saturday’s Spring Swing final band concert of the year

Caroline Attmore

From pop songs to video game music, Saturday’s Spring Swing concert is the final band performance of the year. The concert runs from 1-4 p.m. in the cafeteria and will feature a silent auction.

Grant Milleson, Staff Reporter

Breaking up the band is the theme of Saturday’s Spring Swing Concert from 1:00-4:00 on Saturday in the cafeteria.

“This performance is different from all other concerts because this is just smaller ensembles of students,” assistant director of bands Cecily Yoakam said. “Any group of students can get together and perform a short piece of music for their friends and family in a casual environment. It also happens alongside a fundraiser for the band program.”

Removing the structure of a typical band concert, students will be performing a variety of pieces such as pop songs, or even video game music, in small groups. 

“The goal for students is for them to be exposed to different types of music,” Yoakam said. “Performing in smaller ensembles which heightens accountability for the individual player because it requires a different skill than just performing in the comfort of a normal band setting.”

The open nature of the concert allows for band members to indulge in a simple goal. 

“We went through a couple different pieces but we ended up choosing the Monsters Inc. theme song,” junior Natalie Wang said. “For this concert I want to have fun performing with the other trumpets.”

Although they will be performing separately from each other, the groups are still working together to raise money for the band program with a silent auction.

For seniors of the band program, Spring Swing is a good way to end their high school career on a high note

“I’m performing an arrangement of “Dancing Queen” by ABBA with the other wind ensemble trumpets,” senior Julia Johnson said. “It’ll be a fun way to celebrate the end of the year and I am looking forward to performing it with my section and having fun.”

Although it reminds her of the end of the year, Wang believes the performance is a good way to have fun and perform with her section.

It’s a little bittersweet that this is one of the last band events this year,” she said. “Even though we still have the spring concert the spring swing is a little more personal because it’s in smaller ensembles. I really enjoy being able to play with other band members so this is a great way to wrap up the year.”