A Strange sequel

In+this+weeks+edition+of+Cinema+Summaries%2C+Andrew+takes+a+look+at+the+sequel+to+Marvels+Dr.+Strange.+

WALT DISNEY STUDIOS MOTION PICTURES/PHOTOFEST

In this week’s edition of Cinema Summaries, Andrew takes a look at the sequel to Marvel’s Dr. Strange.

Andrew Jáuregui, Interactive Media Editor

The sequel to Marvel Studios’s Doctor Strange is finally out. Following the events of Spider-Man: No Way Home and WandaVision, the film follows Doctor Strange as he travels into the multiverse, encountering new friends and foes.

So far, the film has had a decently positive reception, with a critic rating of 75% and an audience rating of 87% on Rotten Tomatoes. While it might not be rated among the top MCU films, likely due to the film’s change of directors and a multitude of reshoots, it’s amazing that Marvel Studios was able to put together a largely coherent and interesting story. In a similar story, Thor: The Dark World went through a similar troubled production, resulting in what is largely considered the worst film in the MCU. However, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness seems to have escaped this fate, even if it only resulted in moderate success.

Regardless of the reviews of critics and general audiences, the film certainly features several moments that will certainly go down as some of the hypest moments in the MCU. The introduction of Mr. Fantastic, played by Jim Halpert himself, John Krasinksi, was the first exposure of the Fantastic Four in the MCU. In a similar fashion, the cameo of Sir Patrick Stewart’s Professor Xavier is the first real depiction of the X-Men, unless you count Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. Also, Blackbolt’s appearance also features the Inhumans.

The film definitely succeeds in efficiently adding all these properties into the universe in a simple and quite quick manner. Now that small elements of these properties have been shown, it will be easier for Marvel Studios to completely add the Fantastic Four, X-Men, and the Inhumans to the MCU.

In addition, the film features Elizabeth Olsen at her best and most villainous. In this film, Wanda has truly embraced the title of the Scarlet Witch, and it couldn’t be more entertaining. Having some of the biggest character growth in the MCU, Wanda is a fascinating and captivating character that is certainly not wasted in this film.

While the numbers may describe the film as a mediocrity, it is only because the film’s lows average out its tremendous highs, and for any fan of Marvel or Elizabeth Olsen fan, the film is a must-watch.