Johnson jumps to gold at state track meet

@Friscoisdsports

Saving his best for last, senior Chris Johnson won the UIL 5A state long jump championship on his 6th and final try. Leaping a distance of 24’4.5″, Johnson’s gold medal in the long jump comes one year after Johnson helped the boys’ team win the state championship in 2021.

Luke Martin, WTV Staff Reporter

Several members of the Redhawks track team competed in the UIL 5A state meet at Myers Stadium in Austin on Friday.. 

For senior Chris Johnson, it ended with the jump of his life.

Needing a person best to have a shot at gold, Johnson did just that.

On his 6th and final attempt,  Johnson was able to jump a personal best of 24 feet and 4 ½ inches, which was good enough to make him the state champion.

“Winning state this year is an amazing feeling,” Johnson said. “Obviously it’s my senior year, in my last high school sport, and for me to take the distance and go out there and compete and win in Austin is an amazing feeling.”

Johnson earned a state title in 2021 in the boy’s relays, but this year’s title would be all on his own.

“This medal is ten times different for me, in my opinion, than last year, because obviously it’s an amazing feeling winning state last year ,” Johnson said. “But to actually do something on your own and win it by yourself and to be crowned in a way the champion, that’s just an amazing feeling.”

The team  also would have notable performances with senior Cam Wooley finishing 5th in the 400, and the girls’ relay team finishing 6th in the 4×200.