Band ends year with banquet

Pujan Shah

Band is closing off their year with a banquet to celebrate their accomplishments this year. “I wanted to go to the banquet because it will give me a chance to see everyone in my section other than in summer practices together,” sophomore Evan Buckner said. “I think that the community of band is great and helps build bonds.”

Grant Milleson, Staff Reporter

For the first time in two years, the band banquet will be held in person at the Marriott Legacy Ballroom on Tuesday.

“I am excited to celebrate with everyone in the band,” assistant director of bands Cecily Yoakam said.  “Everyone has grown so much this year, as people and performers, and I am just so excited to celebrate all of their hard work, and the incredible things they have done. I am so proud of all our students, and it will be so much fun to celebrate together one last time.”

Being able to attend one last banquet is something senior Adrian George is looking forward to. 

“I wanted to go to the banquet because I’m excited for the announcement of the awards and the senior slides,” George said. “Since I will be graduating it will be the end of my high school education so it is exciting and sad.”

The banquet will be a catered event that will also have show and senior slideshows, as well as awards to students based on their achievements.

“I wanted to go to the banquet because it will give me a chance to see everyone in my section other than in summer practices together,” sophomore Evan Buckner said. “I think that the community of band is great and helps build bonds.”

For Yoakam, the banquet is a good time to say goodbye to seniors, while also celebrating their hard work.

“The end of the year is always a bittersweet time for me,” she said. “I am excited for summer, but it also means we say “see you later” to seniors or other people leaving the band, and that is hard to do. It is always an amazing thing to watch the growth of a group of students, but it is a little sad to know we won’t be together in the same way. It also means it is time for the next chapter. I am excited to see where we go next year because of the legacy the students who came before set for the next group.”