Acoustic Avenues: new year, new you, new groove

Morgan Kong

In this weekly column, senior Emily Thomas provides her take on a new albums, concerts, and artists.

Aarya Oswal, Staff Reporter

New year, new you, new groove. Welcome back to Acoustic Avenues! I am excited to take up the venture of reviewing music singles and albums as originally done by your previous host, Ana Toro. 

Last year, Toro focused on albums and single releases, which I am looking forward to reviewing as well. However, I plan to make this a learning experience by researching music trends and the impact that certain types of music have on individuals here on campus and conveying such things through interactive infographics. Music is an important part of our community and culture, and since I am always listening to it, seeking to hear the next best thing, the goal of Acoustic Avenues is understand it a little better and help the audience learn something along the way. 

If you’re looking for new, different music, and are tired of the same five songs that you have on shuffle play, you’ve come to the right place. Of course, all of the music I listen to and will review conveys bias, as does any other opinion, but I hope to at least try to get new music out to you, the audience, so YOU can decide for yourself on whether you like it or not. 

To give a little insight into how I will review my music: Everyone listens to music a little differently. Some listen to it for the vibe, some for the instrumentals, some for the lyrics. My goal is to try to review these different aspects of music, because while the beat may not be the best ear candy, the lyrics may have something powerful to emanate.

I am an addict to music, for the lack of a better word, because music speaks to my soul. It makes me feel at peace and as if everything is okay for even just a little bit. If you feel the same, then you’re in good hands. I am so enthusiastic to begin this journey for you music lovers, and I hope I can open your eyes – or ears – to something you may not have usually chosen to listen to.