Theatre students prepare for this year’s musical

Alyssa Murphy

From Monday to Wednesday, students will have the opportunity to audition for a role in this year’s musical. Unlike previous auditions, students are required to sing, dance, and do cold reads.

Andrew Jauregui, Interactive Media Editor

The school musical for the 2022-2023 school year was announced to be Spongebob Squarepants: The Musical in early May. Monday through Wednesday, students who signed up to audition currently have the opportunity to obtain a role in the show. 

However, this year’s auditions differ from years past.

“This time around, auditions are longer and more spread out,” Senior Kenna Hall said, via text. “Last year, it was just vocal auditions, but this year, it’s vocal, cold reads, and dancing.”

Students are able to sing for big roles such as Spongebob, Patrick, Sandy, Plankton, and other featured solo roles, as well as a spot in the background ensemble. 

Beginning Tuesday, auditionees are required to perform cold reads, meaning reads straight from the script in order to test their ability to bring the beloved cartoon characters to life. Auditionees expect these auditions to follow a similar process to Monday’s singing auditions.

“A cold read is important because it helps a director see who has chemistry with who, and who works best with which character,” senior Ella Lewis said, via text. “I think Tuesday’s cold reads will be fun. I’m not auditioning for a specific role, but this is my last show at Liberty, so I’m hoping for a good part.”