Senior sunrise starts the school year off bright

Joaquin Perez

Rachel Kim, Staff Reporter

As the school year kicks off, the PTSA is hosting a senior sunrise on Friday for the class of 2023 to enjoy the start of their last year together. 

The event will take place in front of the school at 6:45 a.m., and students will have the opportunity to cherish a morning full of views and donuts. 

“[Although] I am not looking forward to having to wake up super early, I am excited to see my friends and participate in [an annual] tradition,” senior Diya Mehta said. “Also, the sunsets here are very nice, and I usually never wake up early enough to see them, so I am excited for that too.” 

Similarly, senior Kyliena Kaewkhoonmuang is looking forward to enjoying the experience with her friends and colleagues. 

“I think the event will be a fun experience even though I can see the sunrise whenever,” Kaewkhoonmuang said. “I am truly looking forward to sitting and chatting with my friends, sipping on coffee, and taking a little bit of time to think about what lies ahead for our senior year and beyond.” 

This is bittersweet for senior Riya Khosla, who sees the event as the start of an uncertain and distancing path from family, friends, and childhood.

“To me, senior sunrise means a last hurrah and a chance for me to surround myself with friends and watch something as simple as the sunrise,” Khosla said. “It also makes me happy that these past three years have paid off, but makes me think of graduation and my friends scattering around the world, a thought that both scares and saddens me.”