Putting on their thinking caps, AP Psychology studies the brain

AP Psychology students had the chance to get a look into their heads with their Mind Map project. The purpose of the project is to give students a visual representation of the content they’re covering and improve their understanding and memorization of brain sections and functions.

Faith Brocke, Assistant Opinion Editor

It’s uncommon that a high school student will ever get the opportunity to see inside their own heads, but AP Psychology students are getting a rare opportunity with their Brain Map assignment.

“In Psychology we look at the brain for our biological unit with a brain map,” teacher Tim Johannes said. “It has a lot of parts to it: they [students] cut it, colored it, and that helped them start off and identify the parts of the brain together or separately, which is a big part of psychology. It’s kinda fun, too.”

The project is designed to give students a visual representation of the content they’re covering in their unit and improve their understanding and memorization of brain sections and functions.

“It’s to help us learn and remember what each set of the brain does for psychology,” senior Isabella Burkett said. “Like, a different part of the brain can control different things: like hearing and speech and sight. My favorite part is probably the occipital lobe—it controls your eyesight and what you can see or not. I think it [the project] is really helpful.”

The project has been beneficial to learning and improves students’ abilities to comprehend and absorb information in a fun and subjectively stylish way as students wear their brain maps as hats and memorize the parts.

“It’s a hands-on way to learn and remember things which is really helpful,” junior Rhythm Grand said.