Virtual college fair kicks off Friday

Frisco ISD is hosting a Virtual College Fair starting Friday and going until Nov. 19th. There will be over 70 colleges, both in and out of state, available for students to learn more about.

Victoria Gong

Andrew Jáuregui, Interactive Media Editor

Frisco Independent School District is giving students an opportunity to plan their futures after high school during the virtual college fair that runs Friday through Nov. 19 with more than 70 colleges, both in and out of state, available online for students to learn more about. 

Students can register for the various individual fairs for each college at the Texas Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers’s online website. After registration, students can explore individual colleges with access to videos, learning material, and the chance to chat with representatives of the schools.

“A virtual college fair makes it so you don’t have to be physically present,” senior Ana Toro said. “It allows kids who are sick or not at school to get information about colleges.”

However, senior Abby Walker fears that the online barrier will be a hindrance.

“I think it’s a disadvantage,” Walker said. “Students won’t get a good handle on the college they’re looking into, and the experience won’t be as full as one you would have in-person.”

Cheer coach and digital graphics teacher Kandy Stevens believes that the fair will be good for students regardless of whether or not it’s online.

“It helps students see what all is out there,” Stevens said. “It helps them find colleges they might not have known even existed. It helps the kids network with their future schools.”