FISD works with local police to increase campus security

Frisco ISD is working the Frisco Police Department to increase School Resource Officers on elementary campuses. This change was approved at the Sept. 12 board meeting, with the 3 additional SROs patrolling elementary schools.

Maddie Owens

As the 2022-2023 school year progresses, campuses across Frisco ISD are seeing changes in school security. One of the most notable changes is an increase in the number of School Resource Officers, SROs, at schools, as well as an overall increased focus on campus security.

“The SRO unit is a partner with Frisco ISD,” campus SRO Glen Hubbard said. “SRO’s take care of what happens on campus from start to finish. We’re on [call] 24 hours and get calls from admin.”

At the Sept. 12 board meeting, the FISD Board of Trustees approved agreements with the cities of Frisco, Plano and McKinney about the number of SROs. One of the changes in the contract was an additional three SROs to focus on elementary schools.

“All they’re going to do is go from elementary to elementary; they’re going to have conversations with staff; they’re going to have conversations with kids,” FISD Chief Operations Officer Scott Warstler said during the Sept. 12 meeting. “They may then get in their patrol car and go back to another elementary, but they’re on rotation where every week they are seeing every elementary school multiple times.”

While there is an increase in the number of SROs, the responsibilities of the officers and the partnership between FISD and the Frisco PD remains constant.

“The safety of our schools in Frisco has always been among our highest priorities,” Frisco Chief of Police David Shilson said in an FISD press release. “Through our partnership with FISD and being proactive in allocating resources, investing in training and developing technologies to help keep our students safe, we have demonstrated our commitment to school safety.”