Collin College scholarships benefit Dual Credit students

The Collin Scholarship Foundation is offering a scholarship to high school seniors who are taking the equivalent of six plus credit hours. The scholarships can make it easier for students to graduate with less debt.

Eilidh McGarva

Harley Classe, Editor-In-Chief

With fall semester dual enrollment classes in full swing, students are already beginning to think about their spring semester. For many, these classes are an affordable way to knock out college credit.

In order to make these classes even more accessible, the Collin Scholarship Foundation offers a scholarship open to high school seniors who are taking the equivalent of six plus credit hours.

“I think this will be beneficial to students because universities can have very high tuition and this will make it easier for someone to graduate without a student loan or simply with less debt,” dual credit student, senior Kanen Braden said.

Collin College professor Katherine Balch sees how beneficial this scholarship would be to the recipients first hand and urges students to apply in her classes.

“I think students who are eligible absolutely need to apply for it,” Balch said. “It’s fantastically helpful and I push it in my classes. As soon as I see the information, I tend to post it up in my canvas pages so that [students] have access to it.”

Although the work required to complete the application may appear as daunting, Braden feels the benefits are worth it.

“I think that this scholarship will help students in future education especially because many dual credit students are about to go into college next year,” Braden said.