Psychology students test their senses in an interactive lab

Sadie Johnson

Sadie Johnson

Psychology students are putting their senses to the test as they work on their most recent lab. 

“In psychology we’re doing a sensation and perception lab and it’s the first introduction to this unit,” psychology teacher Tim Johannes said. “It tests all your senses, your taste, your smell, your sight, your vision, your balance sense. And so we try to take away some senses, like we plug your nose or wear a or you have to try to balance on one leg.”

The purpose of the project is for students to gain insight on exactly how their senses work. 

“So we try to trick your senses into not really getting tricked, but understanding how your senses work and how they work together and how they’re important,” Johannes said. “I think its a great introduction to this unit.”

Through the lab, students have been able to discover new information about their own senses and how they work.

“I’m learning I can’t recognize facial expressions as well as I thought I could,” senior Laurel Moncoda said. “And I feel like I’m also probably not as coordinated as I thought I am. So really, I am just disappointed. But the lab is fun, so that’s cool.”

On top of helping students learn, the lab has livened up students’ day to day classwork.

“You get to try a lot of experiments about our perception, our senses,” junior Amarbir Singh said. “And it’s interesting to find out what we know and what we don’t know about our body. Overall, It’s really fun to know and like, just have some fun with your friends to try out all these different experiments.”