Swim speeds into the season

Sarah Boutouis

The Redhawks swim and dive team prepares for their race to districts as they make preparations for a meet Friday. The team will head in with open minds and a hunger to prove they have what it takes to move on to the next round.

Addyson Schick, Assistant Sports Editor

In their first meet of the season on Thursday against Heritage and Reedy, the Redhawks swim and dive team started off the season right with multiple 1st place finishes in relays and individual events.

“We did pretty good ,we still need to work on our dives, turns, our teamwork, and to know where were supposed to go for relays,” freshman Zoe Schneider. “But overall we did really good and got first place in multiple events.”

With the district meet in January, senior Maria Oushlakas believes these results give them high hopes for districts.

“This meet was a good basis as to how we’re looking for districts,” Oushalakas said. “We have a short amount of time to drop time, and we’re already looking pretty good. We nearly broke the records, and I definitely think we will next time we swim them. So this is a good way to see as time goes on, how we’re improving more towards goals.”

But even with solid results, the team could always improve according to Oushlakas..

“I could definitely improve on my speed,” Oushlakas said. “I didn’t go too fast and know I have more in me, but that comes with time and training though.”