Opinion: Dress code enforcement sends mixed signals

Staff columnist Emma Crampton shares her opinion on the mixed signals of the dress code.

Emma Crampton, Staaff Reporter

Although the dress code here isn’t too strict, some people get dress coded for the smallest reasons. But at the same time, some people get away with wearing more revealing clothing.

I’m a personal fan of Nike shorts. I don’t see any problem with wearing them at school and neither does the school. So why are ripped jeans sometimes an issue? I know people who have gotten dress coded for wearing ripped jeans, yet they can wear short Nike shorts and other shorts with no issue.

The thing that especially confuses me is that people get dress coded for rips that are past their fingertips, so if there were no holes and purely skin, there would be no issue. So why dress code someone for ripped jeans? There are many cases of people wearing them without getting in trouble, but there have been times where it has been considered a violation of the dress code. In my opinion, nobody should get dress coded for ripped jeans, and many other students agree.

It’s even more unreasonable in Texas where the first and last couple months of school can reach triple digits and if students wear jeans, they are not allowed to have any holes in them.

Ripped jeans are currently considered to be the style for teens. In almost all stores, you are much more likely than not to find the jean section filled with jeans that have rips.

Considering all of these elements, I don’t think that ripped jeans should be an issue at all especially with much more revealing things such as Nike shorts being allowed.