Red Rhythm strengthens team bonds through volunteering

Red+Rhythm+is+spending+part+of+Thursday+on+a+field+trip+to+the+National+Breast+Cancer+Foundation.+The+team+will+put+together+care+packages+for+women+battling+breast+cancer+and+commemorate+breast+cancer+awareness.+

Emily Vetvick

Red Rhythm is spending part of Thursday on a field trip to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. The team will put together care packages for women battling breast cancer and commemorate breast cancer awareness.

Neha Ramachandran, Staff Reporter

Red Rhythm is spending part of Thursday on a field trip. Not for a dance clinic, or for a training session. Instead, they are going to the National Breast Cancer Foundation to put together care packages for women battling breast cancer and commemorate breast cancer awareness. 

“Any service opportunity gives our students a chance to serve the community and not just do dance,” Red Rhythm Coach Nicole Nothe said. “Red Rhythm’s core values are serve and leadership, so it is good for them to see they’re helping others as a team.” 

Red Rhythm students will assist with various activities at the volunteering event. 

“The National Breast Cancer Foundation is an organization that packs boxes with different essentials for breast cancer patients and survivors, “Red Rhythm student Kanen Braden said.

“We’re going to go and pack boxes with items other people have donated and prep them for shipping,” 

Volunteering together as a team also gives the Red Rhythm students an opportunity to focus on and strengthen their bond as a team. 

“The team building aspect of this event will be great,” Braden said. “We are a very tight knit team but we want to take those team working skills and put it into practice on something that will mean a lot”

Red Rhythm officer Reva Kabnurkar believes that this volunteering event will be a chance to teach students about what they can do to help and to reduce the stigma surrounding cancer. 

“I think it’s a great way to show red rhythm support for patients fighting breast cancer. It’s a good learning opportunity for all the dancers,” Kabnurkar said “We need to learn that cancer is something that happens and volunteering is something that we can do to help the patients”