Hoopfest leads to 4th place finish for girls’ basketball

Manal Nasir

The girls’ basketball team beat the previously undefeated Memorial Warriors on Tuesday. “We were able to execute the game plan our coaches gave us and it was overall a great team win,” senior Journee Harris said.

Addyson Schick, Assistant Sports Editor

Playing in two games over the break and the Allen Hoopfest Tournament, the girls’ basketball team beat  Cedar Park and College Station, placing 4th in the tournament.

“I think our biggest strength over the break, I would say, is our discipline and working together as a team,” freshman Jacy Abii said. “Which is why we have a great chance when coming up on teams that are not as disciplined or try to play more 1v1.”

With several injured players, the Redhawks played deep into their bench, giving players opportunities in the Hoopfest Tournament.

“The Allen tournament was very interesting for us, we went from a couple of games having seven or eight players,” head girls basketball coach Ross Reedy said. “Maybe two or three of those players being players that are typically in a more supportive role, spend some time on the varsity teams.”

But coach Reedy doesn’t want the team to be result based.

“We’re not hanging our heads too much about two of the losses that came out of the Allen tournament, even though they were, you know, substantial,” Reedy said. “Nor are we getting too high over the victories that we had at Cedar Park in College Station, who were both top five top 10 teams in 5A at the beginning of the year. You know, it’s more long lens.”