Flu cases are on the rise

Wade Glover

With the wintertime often comes more sicknesses with viruses such as colds, flu, and COVID-19 spreading faster and more frequently. Many students are trying to stay healthy by sanitizing, wearing masks, and getting COVID and flu vaccines.

Caroline Caruso, Editor-In-Chief

Simple coughs, runny noses, and sore throats, followed by a positive test for Influenza A

This has been the case for many Americans as rates of flu continue to rise in the United States. According to federal health officials, the U.S. has crossed the epidemic threshold when it comes to flu, with flu hospitalizations reaching the highest point since 2010

“We have had a lot of increases in the flu lately,” school nurse Lindsey McDavid said. “If you start feeling sick, if you get a fever, or if you get a sore throat with a flu, it comes pretty quickly. You might feel okay at the beginning of the day and by midday, you might feel a lot worse. So it’s a good time to come into the nurse’s office to get checked out.”

Despite this, McDavid believes there are protocols students can follow to lessen their likelihood of contracting the virus. 

“The flu can be prevented by getting a flu shot and also washing your hands,” she said. “Once you get it, you can take Tamiflu, if it’s prescribed to you within 48 hours of your symptoms.”

The road to recovery has been coarse for freshman Soren Ryu, who contracted the flu this fall. 

“My experience with flu this year was rough as I had to go through two weeks of the flu before finally recovering,” Ryu said. “I was even taking flu precautions prior to getting sick, such as wearing a mask. Sometimes, this does not prevent the virus though. Many of my friends have gotten sick and still are, which I think is because we are around each other so much during the school day, so it is kind of unavoidable.”