Color guard splits into two teams for winter guard

With over 50 color guard members, for the winter guard season, there will be both junior varsity and varsity performances. “I think they should be separated in the future because it really lets both groups show off different skills,” senior Isabelle Raade said.

Grant Milleson, Staff Reporter

The spinning never stops as members of the color guard begin their rehearsal for the new winter guard season, but this year there will be more flags in the air than usual as there are enough members to have both a varsity and a junior varsity team.

“The biggest benefit being that it allows me to place every student in an ensemble that will foster growth for that performer,” color guard director Eric Mills said. “My advanced performers have a chance to learn new skills and more challenging choreography that allows them to grow, while my beginner performers also have the chance to learn skills and choreography that will allow them to grow.”

With nearly 50 members in winter guard, the separation into two teams is something that aims to improve students on an individual level.

“I think that if we keep expanding at the rate we have currently for winter guard then we definitely should separate the groups,” junior Faith Brocke said. “One big show and group would be extremely hard to manage and somewhat inefficient in my opinion. With fewer people per show we are able to maximize performance elements, focus in on technique and solo moments that wouldn’t be as easy to come by in a larger group.”

By having two groups the winter guard program becomes more inviting for new members, while also allowing existing members a chance to enhance their skills.

“I think they should be separated in the future because it really lets both groups show off different skills,” senior Isabelle Raade said. “We’re all at different skill levels and junior varsity will give newer members the best experience for them and let the older members learn new pieces of equipment.”

For Brocke, the new program is a way for her to be the leader to new members that she had when she was new.

“By having two separate rehearsals everyone is able to advance at a faster rate,” Brocke said. “New members need time to acclimate to a new environment, mindset and overall athletic performance art and to not be intimidated, so that helps. Additionally it gives me the chance to help make the newer members feel comfortable like others in the section did for me.”

Although the decision to keep the groups separated is still open, it is something that Mills will have to look at each year.

“It is very possible that I will continue to have two performance ensembles in the future,” Mills said. “It generally depends on a multitude of factors that vary from year to year.”