Band students go solo for UIL

ABand+students+are+transition+from+an+ensemble+setting+to+focusing+on+the+upcoming+UIL+Solo+and+Ensemble+Contest+on+Feb.+12.+Although+nerve+raking+for+some%2C+this+opportunity+will+help+student+grow+into+better+musicians.+

ABand students are transition from an ensemble setting to focusing on the upcoming UIL Solo and Ensemble Contest on Feb. 12. Although nerve raking for some, this opportunity will help student grow into better musicians.

Grant Milleson, Staff Reporter

With December’s winter concert in the rear view mirror, band students are now transitioning from an ensemble setting to an individual focus for the UIL Solo and Ensemble Contest on Feb. 12.

“It is a great opportunity for them to prepare new music and improve individually outside of a standard band setting,” assistant director of bands Cecily Yoakam said. “The benefits of competing in the contest are again to improve on an individual basis. Accountability and individual musicianship grows by having to learn a solo and perform it for a judge.”

Leaving behind the confines of performing with the entire band, the UIL Solo and Ensemble Contest allows students to perform a solo.

“For the solo contest what I want is to have a great last performance,” senior Natalie Wang said. “I want to be able to perform well and have the judge enjoy the piece that I will play.”

The contest allows students to work on things they might not be able to in the traditional band setting.

“My goal for the solo contest is to try and use this opportunity to advance my skills performing in front of people,” junior Shivansh Twari said. “I still get a little nervous playing my trumpet by myself to an audience, so this gives me a great chance to improve on that.”

Performers are allowed to choose what they play, with each piece being rated on a scale of one to five based on difficulty.

“The best way for students to choose a solo is to talk to a private lesson teacher, band director, or even other older members of their section to help you find something that would be a good fit for them,” Yoakam said. “Play through a few different options to find something you like and then get to work.”

Playing a solo can be nerve wracking for some students but Twari believes that playing for others in preparation can be helpful.

“The best way for me to practice is to just expose myself to people and play for them,” Twari said. “This helps me get rid of any playing anxiety I have as well as run through my piece for better dexterity and flow.”