Humanities students take a trip to Dallas Holocaust Museum

Christine Han

The GT Humanities field trip comes during Holocaust Remembrance Week in Texas. The week is designed to help bring awareness to the Holocaust.

Sankeertana Malakapalli, Guest Contributor

Students in GT Humanities are taking a field trip to the Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights Museum on Friday and Monday. 

“The Dallas Holocaust and Human Rights Museum is a world-class museum that explores not just the Holocaust, but other instances of mass atrocities and human rights violations both in history and in the current day,” teacher Sarah Wiseman said. “So it’ll give our students a really great experience of interacting with objects and images and sources from the past, you know, face to face, which makes it just a lot more visceral and emotional and impactful.”

Humanities students are currently delving deep into the 1900s, as part of their current unit, and Wiseman feels that the timing of this trip couldn’t be better.

“This trip relates perfectly to the current unit,” Wiseman said. “We’re really lucky that we planned to talk about the Holocaust during Holocaust Remembrance Week. So, we’re doing Holocaust Remembrance week. We are going to be talking about World War Two and the rise of fascism and the mass atrocities that happen in places with authoritarian governments.”

Students are taking this trip as an opportunity to learn more about human rights and different perspectives.

“I’m excited to learn more things because I already know a lot about this topic, but it’s always great to know more about history and really understanding different perspectives,” sophomore Vidish Anand said. “I think the museum would be a great place to learn some more new things.”

Freshman Laura Huang echoed the sentiment and mentioned how learning about atrocities like these would keep society from repeating its mistakes.

“I think it’s important to visit this museum because it’ll be able to teach present and future generations about why it’s important to be aware of your surroundings and actions,” Huang said.

The most important thing students learn according to Wiseman is the difference they can make when it comes to preventing human rights violations.

“I hope students will take away the importance of human rights and their advocacy and the little things they can do day to day to try to prevent mass atrocity from happening,” Wiseman said.