Shining the light on those who help students dream big: counselors

Noah Servigon

The deadline to submit service hours for the 2023 Service Award is Saturday. The award will be given to students who have shown evidence of completing over 100 service hours throughout their four years of high school.

Rachel Kim, Staff Reporter

From creating schedules to having one-on-one conversations about student’s needs and challenges, school counselors provide an immense and positive influence in helping individuals dream big and achieve success in and out of the classroom.

In order to acknowledge and celebrate the roles counselors play in students’ lives, the American School Counseling Association has launched National School Counseling Week, which comes to an end on Friday.

For counselor Kelli Chandler, the week is a way to help individuals understand and recognize the work counselors carry out for students each and every day. 

“I believe the idea of National School Counseling Week is two-fold as I think it is a wonderful opportunity to continue to educate the community on what it is that school counselors do,” Chandler said. “It is also an opportunity to promote the intentional work that we do to positively contribute to students and honor the work that is done by school counselors.”

As the week is highlighted, counselor Ryan Kiefer reflects on his role as one of excitement and fulfillment as he enjoys helping and guiding students toward their destination and plans. 

“[To me], I believe being a counselor is mainly trying to help facilitate students in reaching their goals in the short run, such as those high school goals, but also, more importantly, those post-high school [ambitions],” Kiefer said. “I [find it] exciting to help students realize all the goals that they have and, and figure out how they can accomplish each one of them.”

Chandler finds her duty and responsibility as a counselor as one that holds influential weight in a student’s life and well-being, whether it be related to an individual’s educational path or outside skills.

“[Being a counselor] means supporting students emotionally, academically, and socially as they navigate their high school years,” Chandler said. “This encompasses many things, all of them valuable as the high school years are ones often filled with self-discovery, facing challenges, decision-making, navigating relationships, and gaining independence, [while also] still needing nurturing, grace, and understanding.”

Because of the tasks and responsibilities counselors embrace and take on in providing resources and support for individuals, students, like senior Ifrah Zainab, have been able to gain more information and understanding regarding certain topics, allowing her to be better prepared for different situations and processes. 

“Things like college applications, scholarships, and schedules, specifically, are topics I have discussed and sought help from my counselor,” Zainab said. “[For instance], my counselor has been a big help by promptly answering my questions regarding college applications or schedules whenever I had them and needed to discuss them with her.”

Similarly, for senior Sarthak Dhawan, looking to his counselor for more information and clarification, specifically regarding the college application process, has been one of tremendous help and use. 

“My high school counselor played a crucial role in supporting me during the college application process,” Dhawan said. “She was highly knowledgeable about various aspects of the process, including clarifying application deadlines and assisting me in understanding the different GPA systems that colleges use, in which I am thankful for.”

Through all the work counselors do for students and the school continuously, Zainab believes that it is important to recognize and express gratitude each and every day, not only during the specific week. 

“I think when it comes to celebrating any holiday or week that’s meant to appreciate someone, that appreciation should always be present regardless of the time,” Zainab said. “The efforts of counselors are a year-round thing, so it’s important to acknowledge that [as] they really do want what’s best for students.”

For Chandler, she hopes that even as National School Counseling Week finishes and passes by, individuals better understand the purpose and service that counselors are based upon and provide.  

“My hope would be that our community knows the school counselors are here to serve,” Chandler said. “I [also] hope they know that we use evidence-based practices to do our work [and] that we are always available to assist.”