Application deadline approaches for aspiring StuCo reps.

The deadline is quickly approaching for Student Council Applications for the 2023-2024 school year. For advisor Kandy Stevens, this is an opportunity to survey her incoming leadership for next year.

Andrew Jáuregui, Interactive Media Manager

Sophomores and juniors interested in being a part of the school’s 2023-24 Student Council have until the end of the day Tuesday to submit their applications. 

For StuCo teacher Kandy Stevens, the aim is to recruit students ready to be in a position of leadership.

“Every single person that’s in the Student Council is there in a leadership role,” Stevens said. “They gotta be willing to get out of their comfort zone and work in areas that they’re not usually comfortable within order to be positive leaders.”

The experience of serving as president of the Student Council has given senior Anna Lyon the opportunity to strengthen herself.

“Students should apply because not only does it look good on college applications, but it teaches students how to learn organizational skills, planning, and also how to foster school spirit,” Lyon said. “Being in Student Council really helped me and the rest of us boost our confidence by participating in school events and representing the school.”

Senior Natalie Wang believes that students who have school spirit and willingness to be involved will excel in the Student Council environment.

“Students should be prepared to participate in all school activities and have that spirit to want to participate,” Wang said. “As a member of the Student Council, you are expected to encourage the student body and bring school spirit to everyone. I’ve been able to make a lot of friends due to us all being in the same mindset of wanting to create a better student environment for everyone.”