The road to state begin for track and field

The track and field teams will be competing in the District 9-5A meet Tuesday and Wednesday  at the Little Elm Athletic Complex.

Noah Brandenburg

The track and field teams will be competing in the District 9-5A meet Tuesday and Wednesday at the Little Elm Athletic Complex.

Prachurjya Shreya, Guest Contributor

The boys’ and girls’ track and field teams will compete in the District 9-5A track meet Tuesday and Wednesday at the Little Elm Athletic Complex hoping to advance to the area round.

“I’m expecting them to perform well. It’s going to be great weather,” girls’ head coach Amanda Byers said. “They’ve been working hard all season. They’re ranked to do really great things at the track as a team and individually. It should be a great two days.”

The boys’ have set multiple personal records in the 400m and relay races, leading their coach to think the team will fare well.

“I think that both the JV and Vvrsity are mix to win the district championship,” boys’ head coach Brandon Gonzales said. “The team has worked really hard this year and we have consistently been hitting PR’s. We should see a large number of Varsity athletes place in the top 4 and qualify for the Area Meet.”

Many of the athletes have been training for months and are excited to begin their potential quest to state.

“We have high expectations for this year, everyone has had such a great season and we’re planning on taking home the district trophy,” sophomore Mikayla Durham said. “All of the other sports get a whole district season to make playoffs and we get the next two days to really show what we’ve been working on and I’m really excited because I think we have the opportunity to do really well.”