Frisco named safest city in U.S. second year in a row

Frisco+has+been+named+the+No.+1+safest+city+in+the+country+for+the+second+year+in+a+row.+%0AThe+study+conducted+by+SmartAsset+found+that+Frisco+has+the+fourth+lowest+crime+and+drug+poisoning+rates+in+the+nation%2C+along+with+the+sixth+lowest+property+crime+rate.+

Perry Mellone

Frisco has been named the No. 1 safest city in the country for the second year in a row. The study conducted by SmartAsset found that Frisco has the fourth lowest crime and drug poisoning rates in the nation, along with the sixth lowest property crime rate.

Rose Lastovica, Staff Reporter

According to data from SmartAsset, a financial technology company, Frisco is the No. 1 safest city in the country for the second year in a row. 

Each of the 200 cities in the study were considered for their violent crime, property crime, traffic deaths, drug poisoning deaths, and excessive alcohol use statistics.

McKinney  No. 2, McAllen No. 3, Santa Clarita, CA No. 4, and Plano No. 5. All the Texas cities in the top five have violent crime rates lower than 90% of the other cities in the study.  

“My family decided to move here when I was little because of the city’s safety,” senior Emily Aronson said. “I’m glad to know that the city is still safe, especially since I’m working and going out on my own more.”

The study used FBI data from 2021 supplemented with NeighborhoodScout, and found that Frisco has the fourth lowest crime and drug poisoning rates in the nation, along with the sixth lowest property crime rate. 

SmartAsset also measured which of the safest cities are most affordable. The results found that Frisco is the only city achieving a top five ranking for both safety and affordability. 

Frisco Mayor, Jeff Cheney, takes immense pride in the city’s safety and the additions that have been making headway in recent years.

“So that’s it, the standard of living here, which is very high, there’s great things to do,” Cheney said. “There is shopping, there’s retailers, entertainment. There’s easy access to the airport, so it really kind of sells itself.”

Frisco Independent School District is also one of the biggest attractions for new inhabitants.

“You know, and of course, top school district, we’re one of the safest communities in the country, really. So those are really attractive tools,” Cheney said. “We’re a highly educated community, we’re a community full of entrepreneurs and opportunity, so all those kinds of things are attractive.”

Teachers in the school district also agree with this sentiment, noting the possible reasons for Frisco’s remarkable track record.

I’ve noticed that our police department has implemented various community policing programs to build relationships with residents and businesses, and they work closely with other city departments to address any safety concerns that arise,” social studies instructional coach  Jeff Crowe said. “Additionally, I’ve noticed that our schools have implemented safety protocols, such as lockdown drills and active shooter response training, to prepare for any emergency situations. These efforts, combined with the commitment of our citizens to report any suspicious activity, have contributed to Frisco’s reputation as a safe and secure community.”

While the city is proving to be on top of their safety precautions, there is still more work that can be done.

“I strongly believe the city should continue to work closely with our schools to ensure that they have the necessary resources and support to maintain a safe learning environment,” Crowe said. “This includes providing additional funding for school security measures and investing in mental health resources for students. Overall, I believe that by focusing on these areas, we can enhance our city’s safety rating even further and ensure that Frisco remains one of the safest and most livable cities in the country.”